Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Repeal Proposition 8! For the Right to Marry Who You Choose!

CourageCampaign.org has released a video to fight for the repeal of California's Proposition 8, which took away the right of gays in that state to get married. Today, the California Supreme Court upheld the Prop. 8 initiative.

The video here speaks to the issue of allowing intolerance and denial of basic human rights to be a matter for popular vote. Either human rights are inalienable -- including by "popular" vote -- or they are not. While some are arguing the California Supreme Court's decision is much narrower than pro-Prop 8 supporters could hope for, making it a Pyrrhic victory of sorts for them, the fact that some 10% of the population does not have the same rights as the other 90% is horribly wrong, and must be rectified.

H/T Eugene

No comments:

Search for Info/News on Torture

Google Custom Search
Add to Google ">View blog reactions

This site can contain copyrighted material, the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. I am making such material available in my effort to advance understanding of political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.